Week Beginning 27th April
This weeks Mindfulness sessions start with a guided meditation session and this week will look at how we can be more calm, our breathing and mindfulness eating.
Day 1 : Being in the moment
Today's session will look at exploring mindfulness and how we can remain calm and our breathing. To follow a guided session that will help with this click here.
Day 2: Sitting like a frog
Can you get into your best sitting frog position?
Today we are going to look at how our feelings can be the same as the weather outside. We are going to use the weather to help us describe our feelings." Sunny, rainy, stormy, windy, hurricane? This activity will allow children to think about how they are feeling without in the moment without making it hard to explain. They can't change the weather outside and we can't change our emotions or feelings either. All we can change is how we look at them. Children can recognise, "I am not the thunderstorm, but I notice that it is raining; I am not a scaredy-cat, but I realise that sometimes I have this big scared feeling somewhere near my throat."
Now whilst sitting like a frog describe how you are feeling using the weather description’s to help.
Day 3: Practice mindful eating
The exercise of mindfully eating a raisin or a piece of chocolate is the yummy side of mindfulness and is a great activity for kids. You can find a script for a seven-minute mindful eating exercise for children here or following the below:
The following exercise is simple and will only take a few minutes.
- Find a small piece of food, such as one raisin or nut, or a small cookie. You can use any food that you like...
- First, look at the food. Notice how it looks, what colour it is, is it lumpy?
- Now, close your eyes and we will focus on your sense of touch. What does this food feel like? Is it hard or soft? Wet or dry?
- Remember that you’re not being asked to think, but just to focus on one sense at a time. This is what it means to eat mindfully.
- Before you eat it, let’s focus on your sense of smell. What does it smell like? Does it have a smell?
- At least, begin eating. No matter how small the bite of food you have, take at least two bites to finish it.
- Now, take your first bite. Please chew as slowly as a snail, think about how it feels in your mouth. It may help to close your eyes and do this.
- Think about if the flavour changes, moment to moment.
- Take about 20 more seconds to very slowly finish this first bite of food, thinking about how your mouth moves when chewing.
- Now, please take your second and last bite. Like you did before what new things can you feel in your mouth? How does it sound? What does it taste like ?
It might take some practice not to eat the yummy food
Day 4: ‘’Just one breath’’ breathing activity
Today we are going to think about the way we breathe. It’s something we are doing right now, but don’t think about it.
Now I want you to follow these simple steps to help us really look at how our body feels when we take a breath.
- Find a relaxing place, sit comfortably, and set a timer for one minute.
- Breathe deeply in and out while focussing on any sounds you hear.
- Take another slow breath, imagine the air moving down into the lungs and back up
- Take one more deep breath and hold for a moment, then release it.
Now that was easy wasn’t it, how do you feel?
Day 5: Heartbeat exercise
This is something fun and easy to do and allows us really notice our heartbeats and is something parents can join in with also.
- Make sure your child has been seated or resting for a few minutes
- Now get your child to place their hand on their chest and see if they can tell you if they can feel their heartbeat, what is their breath like?
- Ask your child to stand up and either jump up and down or do jumping jacks for one minute.
- At the end of the minute, have them place their hand on their heart and pay attention to how their heartbeat and their breathing feels.
- Ask them to explain how it feels now, what is their breath like, can they notice a difference?
Let me know on Facebook how you all got on and see you all at 11am for Mindfulness Meditation !